Saturday, October 25, 2008

Doughnuts with the Despains

1 gallon of milk, 1 gallon of apple cider, more than 30 people, and over one hundred doughnuts... Makes for one scrumptious night of fun. Every year we make my grandmother Andersen's doughnuts at first as a family tradition and after my grandma's passing four years ago as a way to remember and honor her. They are so yummy fresh that we invite huge groups over to eat them all up so there are very few leftovers. This was the first year that Soren and Ezra got to help...they got more frosting on the walls, chairs, and floor than on the doughnuts... but they had so much fun while doing it.


Today I am sharing the recipe for those who are interested...

"Sister Andersen's Doughnut's"

2 pkgs. dry yeast 2 beaten eggs

1/2 c. warm water 1/2 c. melted shortening or margarine

2 c. warm water 1/2 c. sugar

7-9 1/2 c. flour 2 tsp. salt

Soak yeast is 1/2 cup water (in small bowl). Put the remaining water in a large mixing bowl. Add sugar and slat. Stir until dissolved. Add softened yeast, eggs, and shortening and enough flour to make a batter. Beat well.. Add enough more flour to make a soft dough. Knead until smooth and satiny (about 6 minutes). Let rise until doubled (about an hour). Roll out about 1/2 inch thick and cut with a doughnut cutter. Cover with towel. Let rise until doubled (about 1/2 an hour or more). Cook in hot oil at 380 degrees until light golden brown. Drain and dip in glaze or frost according to directions.

GLAZE:

1 1/2 pkg. powdered sugar

1 tsp. vanilla

3/4 cup boiling water

Mix until smooth.

"SPECIAL DOUGHNUTS"

Frost with chocolate frosting, white frosting made with powdered sugar can be colored different colors and use decorative sprinkles. Cut some with round cutters w/o holes. Just before frying make an indentation about the size of a nickle. Be sure to make it deep. After frying, frost with white frosting and fill center with jelly.

*My grandparents served two missions in the Philippines. With this recipe the Relief Society sisters in the Philippines in the Tanauan Branch were able to sell enough to meet the budget demands every month. Due to the high humidity there they couldn't use glaze so they invented different attractive toppings such as those above. The doughnuts became well known in that area as.. "Sister Andersen's Doughnuts", even as far as Manila.

Thank you Grandma for a tradition that we look forward to every fall.

9 comments:

Brianne & Jarod said...

so SAD we missed it!

Troy & Kristin said...

Troy doesn't like doughnuts......I made them this year, but ended up having to throw most of them away....I guess i'll just have to wait until we have kids and they get older.

Melissa and Doug said...

Thanks again! This is a fall tradition that I've grown very fond of (and I'm shamelessly hoping this comment will result in a return invite next year in Dallas).

Doug

Kohl said...

Yum! I wish we lived close and could have come. I actually asked Nate yesterday why he hadn't made doughnuts yet. I guess that time is still to come. You are amazing for makings so many.

jkohldadof8 said...

We are looking forward to making them on Halloween. Thanks for continuing the tradtion.

Brian and Lindsay said...

thanks for the yummy donuts, we will miss them next year...oh, and we'll miss you guys too!

Lizzy said...

Thank you so much for hosting this! I think Jon and I ate way more than our fair share . . . but I just couldn't stop! They were delicious and I was secretly hoping I could get the recipe from you. So I'm way pumped about that since this was our only time to get them!

Ames Family said...

Okay so I'm now seriously craving donuts. I too am thankful you're sharing the recipe. Looks like that was way fun and delicious.

The Harrises said...

Those were some yummy donuts. Thanks for sharing.
After gandering through the pictures on your blog, it made me realize how good looking your boy really are. Handsome devils.